Munster Senior Hurling B Semi-final



Munster Senior Hurling B Semi-final

Munster B Colleges semi final


This eagerly awaited Munster semi final was finally played on  Friday 21st after being cancelled three times due to weather and pitch conditions. To ensure it went ahead without a hitch it was played on the all weather astroturf in University of Limerick.


St. Mary's Newport would have entered the game as favourites having easily accounted for Roscrea in the first round of the league section of the competition back in late September. However on the day Roscrea were short a number of players and alot of work has been done since then. Having won the toss Roscrea elected to play against a strong gusty wind in the first half, and it was backs to the wall for most of the first half for an under pressure Roscrea rearguard. St. Mary's were first to score with an early goal from full forward Patrick Ryan. Then a brief stoppage in play necessitated by a change of referee gave  both teams a reprieve from driving rain and wind. On resumption, the Roscrea backs had to defend with their lives and with Enda Moloney in goal making safe catches, Newport were finding scores hard to come by. A feature of the first half was the blocking and hooking of the Roscrea defence who were tested time and again by Cillian Byrnes at wing forward, Patrick Ryan at full forward and David Gleeson  at corner forward. The Roscrea full back line of Ian Treacy, Declan Cleary and Brian Davis all did well during this period as did the half line of JP Cleary, Daniel Doughan and Lee Cashin. Newport got in for a second goal before half time but meanwhile Roscrea managed to pilfer two points of their own leaving the score at half time St. Mary's 2 goals to Roscrea's 2 points. Things could have been worse for Roscrea had Newport taken their chances or opted to go for points during that first half.


On the resumption of the second half Roscrea with the wind on their backs stormed into the game and with the backs still hurling well and Sean Fogarty and Anthony Devereux doing well in midfield, they began to pick off the points to eat into the Newport lead. Jamie Dooley and Adrian Cleary both came off the bench and both made telling contributions scoring 3 points between them along with winning and holding a lot of ball inside. The crucial score of the half fell to Shane Sampson who went for and scored a smashing goal for Roscrea with ten minuted to go. This put Roscrea level and gave them the impetus to go and win the game. Newport only managed a couple of points in the second half to Roscrea's 1 goal and 7 points and it was these vital points that ensured Roscrea a place in the final to be played on the weekend of the 8th/9th March against Cashel CC who defeated Kilmallock in the other semifinal.